One of the benefits of a civil society is that order is maintained by rules and laws. They serve as guidelines within which individuals, governments and businesses can function effectively. The multitude of laws that govern all aspects of our daily lives are complicated, which requires specialists that know and understand the laws to interpret them. It is essential for an individual or company to acquire the services of a lawyer to represent them with legal disputes.
Lawyers fulfil a vast array of functions in the legal field. Some of them are:
· They analyse laws and regulations for businesses and individuals
· They represent their clients in legal matters, in court and before agencies
· Analyse legal issues through research and study
· The draw up legal documents such as contracts, deeds and wills
· They are responsible for all legal communications between judges, their clients and colleagues
· They study and interpret laws for the parties they represent
Should you decide in a career in law, you would be able to specialise in different sector of society as a lawyer. You could specialise as an environmental lawyer, a tax lawyer, a patent lawyer, a family lawyer, a criminal lawyer and many more. Lawyers general have long work hours due to the amount of research and preparation needed in legal matters. Legal assistants play an important role in alleviating the workload of lawyers.
The work environment of lawyers varies. Lawyers travel to meet with clients at different locations such as business premises, homes and prisons. They also have to appear in court on behalf of their clients. Most of their time is spent in offices. An appropriate law degree is a pre-requisite in becoming a lawyer. Once the qualification has been achieved, prospective lawyers need to pass the bar examination. They are then issued with a licence to practice law. The lawyer is then ready to follow a career in law.